Tuesday 9 April 2013

ReVision



AttributionNoncommercialShare Alike
 Some rights reserved by artnoose
Time Knots.
Filtered through
The pores of vision,
Twisted through with the
Obscurity of reason,
The certainties
Give way.

Seen again,
Filtered through
The pores of time,
Combed through with the
Clarity of hindsight,
The knots
Give way.



I've been reading Bonnie Campbell Hill and Carrie Ekey's book on Enhancing Writing Instruction and came across this lovely paragraph:

My favorite part of the writing process is revision. I start with a section that feels as messy and tangled as my hair in the morning. By the time I've reread and rewritten a section over and over, all the knots have been untangled, the frizzies tamed, and my writing finally feels smooth. The key is rereading. I read sections over and over tweaking here and there until they feel right... (p29)

The second stanza of the poem found its form fairly quickly. Originally the first stanza was to have been itself a muddled version of the second but it didn't really work for me. Ironically, this was the part of the poem that I struggled with most as I drafted and redrafted looking for a form and meaning that I could balance with the ending.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome. Sharing ideas is what it is all about. If you have written posts along similar lines, please add a link as well.