Sunday 25 November 2012

Sea Eagle


In a quiet moment
Between classes
I look out the window
Of my 5th storey classroom
And see a sea eagle
Circling.

Not effortless; rather,
AttributionNoncommercialNo Derivative Works Some rights reserved by Corpus Rex
A spring wound up.
A poised potential that
Could release itself at any
Time to plunge into the
Tree canopy below.

...


I’m reminded of
A moment in childhood.
Looking out the window
Of the family car.
Speed and dust and the
Momentum of passing trees.

Beside the road
A rabbit came into view
And, in the same moment,
A Wedge Tail, glorious
And terrifying,
Plunged into the frame.

What I saw
Was like a photograph:
Rabbit,
Eagle,
Framed by a window.
Gone.

...


I wonder, now as I watch 
This new bird circling, 
What he sees?
Is his world just a rhythm
Of trees punctuated by 
Irregular kills?

Or, occasionally,
Does he look
Through windows
And catch glimpses
Of something profound
and glorious?

3 comments:

  1. Love this Mr.Tymms. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful poem! I read it now at bedtime and will sleep with the image, and the hope of something "profound and glorious" as I dream.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dad, you probably could have got the message through in 3 paragraphs, not 7 (:

    ReplyDelete

Comments welcome. Sharing ideas is what it is all about. If you have written posts along similar lines, please add a link as well.